Monday, May 18, 2009

Lula's Solo

I've been working on Lula's computer. It's a Gateway Solo. I've been trying to get the wifi card to work.
I downloaded the driver from Linksys.com. The trouble is that it requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or better to run. It has 5.0 in it. Since I didn't have the wifi card working I couldn't download 5.5 or 6. I may try to get it on my Linux machine. I didn't think of that. Now I'm too late since I'm trying to load Linux (Ubuntu) on Lula's machine. It's having trouble with the ram. The distribution that I'm trying to load requires 256 meg of ram and Lula's machine only has 16o meg.
As long as I'm online I may as well try to get IE 6 from the Microsoft website. Then if I have to go back to Windows I'll have it. I'm tempted to just buy another card and load Windows. I'm a little short of money so I don't think I'll do that.
I might go to Suse Linux if I can't get Ubuntu to work. I really prefer Ubuntu but if it won't load then I'll have to try something else. I also have an old copy of Mandriva.
The day hasn't been a complete waste. I got my bicycle tires pumped up. Other than that it's been something of a waste. I've got laundry in the washer and dryer, but I didn't get around to mowing the lawn again. I'm spending too much time going to and from the computer.
The co-op notified me that the new pendelum is here. I'll pick that up tonight. It's here in plenty of time for the next lottery.
At least Lula's machine is working better than it was. It helped to charge the battery. Then Windows hung up and I ran Windows 98 setup. It still wouldn't see the wifi card. Lula said that she would look for the driver but I won't see her until Thursday. I downloaded what I thought would work, but had no luck.

No comments: