Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Old Laptop Hell

I'm in old laptop hell. I've been trying to get the wifi card on Lula's laptop to work. I've tried at least 5 different forms of Linux and most of them won't load after spending hours trying to. When I get one to load it won't work with the wifi card. I'm tempted to go back to Windows and swap my wifi card with hers. I have the commercial disk that came with my card. I don't know if I can get her software to work on my machine.
Before I do that I'm going to try Mandriva Linux. It's from 2006, which might be old enough to work with limited memory and yet new enough to run the wifi card. Its worth a shot. If that fails I'm going to try to get her wifi card to work on my machine and then convert her's to Windows.
Its a plan. I was up until 3:00 in the morning, working on this machine. If either of us had money it would make more sense to buy a new machine.
The coffee machine at Bookends and Beans is down. It gets all gummed up with the limestone water that we have here. John said that they use a couple of big filters in the basement but it still limes up.
Well back to old laptop hell

No comments: