Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Yet another get rich quick scheme bites the dust.

Well, my hopes of making a lot of money by buying gold jewelery on EBay was shot down, today. It turned out that none of the stuff I sent in that was labeled as 14 and 10 karat gold was real. I was only paid for a ring that I pretty much knew was gold. I ended up paying 15% to get it sold.
I still am waiting for a bunch of old watches  in which I hope I can find a gold band. I paid $100 for a bunch of 110 old watches. If one of them has a gold band or case I'll make out.
Of course, I'm being arrogant. I'm thinking that the seller on EBay is so stupid that they are letting valuable things go for little or nothing. I'm just being crazy again and thinking that I can out-smart the other guy. I always lose on these things. It's my delusions of grandeur again. I have to face the fact that I will always be poor and there is nothing I can do about it. I always lose money trying to make one or other get-rich schemes working.
I suppose that going out to California to pan gold is another soon-to-fail scheme. Most likely the gold that was to be found on the Klamath River was found there before the start of the 20th Century. They were taking gold out of there in the 1850's. It's probably all gone by now.
I decided not to go this Fall unless I get the accounting job. I'll go out next Spring if I don't get the job. I should know about the job by the end of the week.
The motor home is still in the shop. I asked the mechanic if he had done anything to it, last Saturday. He said that he hadn't had the time to get to it. At least it drives fairly well. I should be able to get it to California. I just don't know if anything like the furnace works. The last I heard, nothing worked.
On a different topic, the Ebola outbreak is getting worse, apparently. The number of cases is now around 1200.  They are shutting down air travel between some countries. It's starting to make the main stream media.
I don't know what I'll do if the pandemic spreads to here. I've got a bug out vehicle but where do you go for an epidemic? Maybe I'll just move to LaCrosse and start hanging out at the Christian Science reading room. That's probably as good a plan as any.
I was just now talking to Jim and Sherry about the Ebola epidemic. I told them that they should consider getting a trailer and getting their land at Harper's Ferry ready for bugging out. They could get electricity hooked up there and be ready for living there. Maybe I could bug out there. It would be as isolated as I could get. It's out in the country about 1/2 mile from any neighbors. I'll have to talk with them about bugging out there.
Later

No comments: